9:45 - 10:45 AM
For Adults - All our adult Sunday School classes offer the chance to explore and deepen your faith through study, relationships, and engagement with the world. See the descriptions below to see which class is right for you.
- Friendship - Friends united for the purposes of Bible study, spiritual development and social enhancement, this class of women welcomes all. They are very active in missions. The class meets in Rm. #134, and is currently led by Margaret Diamond and Roberta Head.
- Genesis - This is a group of young married couples and singles, ranging in age from their late twenties to forties, who gather weekly to share their faith journeys in an atmosphere of acceptance and curiosity. The class meets in Rm. #132, and is led by John and Cathy Baskin.
- Moore - The Moore Sunday School class is a group of mixed ages and sexes that rotates its leadership among class members. Interpreting the Word of God and applying it to daily life, the members of the class value the ongoing struggle with faith and scripture. The class meets in Rm. #133, and is coordinated by Bob Sampson.
- Philippians - Lively, biblically-based discussions, coupled with a welcoming attitude toward diverse viewpoints, are the hallmark of this adult class of mixed ages and sexes. After reading scripture together, participants discuss the texts to examine their relationships with God and others as they seek to apply biblical truths to daily life. The class meets in the Annex-Fireplace Room on Sunday mornings, and is coordinated by G.J. Tarazi.
For Youth - The Youth Sunday School class, for grades 6-12, is designed to prepare our young people for the Christian life. The class combines discipleship and study, with fun and thoughtful discussions about how to take the love the of the church into the wider world. They meet in the Annex-Youth Room on Sunday mornings, and frequently fellowship together after class. Youth Sunday School is led by Julio Hernandez and Brian Hall.
For Children - The Sunday School class for children in first grade through fifth grade allows kids to participate in age-appropriate activities designed to help them learn more about the Bible and how to use the Bible as a guide and resource for daily living. Teachers help the children think of Jesus as the revelation of God's unconditional love and help each child see church as a community of caring persons. They encourage children to think for themselves as they strive to develop their own personal and dynamic faith in God and in Jesus. Children's Sunday School meets in room #201 (upstairs) and is led by Beth Moffett, Tara Cruzan, and substitute Geneva Pope.
Sunday Morning Schedule
- 9:45 - Greeting and introduction to lesson
- 10:00 - Lesson with teaching, crafts, and activities
- 10:45 - Class ends and children are escorted to the downstairs classroom hallway. Please meet your child in the hallway to take them to worship.
- 11:00 - Worship begins. Children may come to the chancel steps for a children’s lesson during worship. After the reading of the Gospel lesson, children are invited to Children’s Worship in room 132, with our Children’s Ministry volunteer. Children are escorted back to the Sanctuary to rejoin parents during the Offertory. (Note: there is no Children’s Worship on Communion Sunday, usually the 3rd Sunday of the month.)
Preschool - Sunday School for preschoolers (age 2 - kindergarten) is available, and currently led by Linda Hernandez-Giblin and Patti Brockmeier. It meets in Room #125. Child care for infants and toddlers is also available during this time, for parents who attend their own classes. Their separate child care area is entered through Room #125.
After Sunday School, children from birth through Kindergarten ages may remain in the child care area: Paid childcare workers, along with rotating volunteers, supervise those areas each Sunday. In addition to individual attention, the staff and volunteers offer safe, age-appropriate play materials and activities for all in their care.
Sunday Morning Schedule
- 9:30 - Classroom and infant and toddler room open for supervised activities and care
- 10:00 - Music for 2 - K age group
- 10:15 - 10:45 - Lesson and crafts for ages 2 - K (as a courtesy to teachers and the other children, please no drop off during this time)
- 10:45 - Snack, supervised activity centers, rooms open again for drop off
- 11:00 - Worship begins. Preschoolers age 3 and older will be brought to the sanctuary for the Children's Time, and then return with childcare workers and volunteers for indoor and/or outdoor play (weather permitting). Please bring appropriate outdoor gear. Infants will remain indoors, and toddlers may go outside if there are enough volunteers to supervise them.
If for any reason you happen to arrive with your child(ren) during the 10:15-10:45 lesson, please feel free to keep them with you in the Fellowship Room, or take them to explore the church library (Rm #136) which has an excellent children's section. You are, of course, more than welcome to keep children of any age with you during worship.
Parents of Preschoolers (POPS) - Join us on the 4th Sunday each month at 9:45, in Room 202, upstairs in our main building. We know getting kids to church is like trying to rake leaves in a tornado, which is why we only meet once a month and fully expect half the group to be at least 10 to 15 min. late. That's ok! If you're a parent of a youngster (or two, or three...etc....), we hope you'll join us. Part therapy session, part introspection, part laughs - we talk about the challenges (and joys) of parenting and how spirituality and religion fit in-between all the late nights and toddler negotiations to eat vegetables. You can drop the children off in the nursery, Room 125, where there will beplenty of loving hands to care for them. Call it a time out for you!
The Ravensworth LibrarY (Rm.#136)
Our well-maintained, attractive library has a wide selection of books focusing on Bible study and issues of peace and justice. The library collection includes Bible commentaries, reference books, a large collection of children’s books, as well as CDs and DVDs. The library is open from 9:30-11am and following the worship service. For more information contact Roberta Head, Librarian, Geneva Pope, Library Committee Chair, Charlene Christensen, Ann Hatcher, or Marilyn McGonegle, committee members.
(Weekly, 10:30-11:45 AM): 1st/3rd/5th Tuesdays at rbc. 2nd/4th Tuesdays at Greenspring Village in the classroom at village square
On Tuesday mornings, a group meets each week for bible study and discussion. Our pastors, Leah Grundset Davis and Steve Hyde, lead the class with occasional assistance from members of the class or from speakers outside the congregation. The Tuesday Morning group is known for its inquisitive and adventurous nature, its biblical scholarship, and the group members' loving concern for one another. Many of our Tuesday Morning participants stick around after the bible study for brown bag lunch and fellowship at RBC; or they stay and eat lunch with residents at Greenspring Village.